Our inclusion in a family is one of the most basic needs for mankind. All our group ideas stem from that basic unit. Tribe, nation, creed are all forms of belonging.
Rahab was included through gratefulness of the Israelite spies, and Ruth was included through love; they became woven into the destiny not only of a nation, but of the world. They were included in the ancestryÂ of the Messiah.
When Mary sang her magnificat, she echoed the words and feelings that those who went before her must have also felt:
- My soul magnifies the Lord,
- and my spirit rejoices in God, my Savior;
- For He has regarded
- the lowliness of His handmaiden.
Symbols and Verses
- Rahab is symbolized by a strand of red thread. Bible reading: Josh. 2:1-21
- Ruth is represented by the sheaf of wheat. Bible reading: Ruth 1:15- 2:3
In this season, show a charitable spirit to those who are different from you.
Carol, “Infant Holy, Infant Lowly”
We thank you God for including us in your family, as your people, in an everlasting Kingdom.
Help us to remember we are now brothers and sisters who are bound by your love and united in your nature.
Through Jesus, in whose name we pray, amen.