Traditional Hungarian Christmas bread.
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 c warm water
- 1 1/2 c scalded milk, cooled
- 1/2 c sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 c soft butter
- 2 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1/4 tsp mace
- 1 c raisins (if desired)
- 1 c chopped pecans
- 1/2 c candied fruit
- 7 to 7 1/2 c sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp cold water
- Soften yeast in warm water; add next 10 ingredients and half the flour
- ix well with spoon; add enough remaining flour to handle easily, mix with hands.
- Turn onto lightly floured board, knead 5 or more minutes til smooth and elastic.
- Turn into large greased bowl, cover. Let rest for 20 minutes, punch down.
- Divide into three sections make three strands 26 inches long, cut in half and make two braided circles.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 - 24 hours.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 35 minutes or more til golden and puffy.
Originally from Ilona's Advent Blog at https://www.lovingchristmas.com/blog/2007/12/19/a-kings-crown-december-19/