Moravian Spice Cookies Dough:
- 4 cups sifted flour
- 1 c. light molasses
- 1/2 c. butter,softened
- 1/2 c.packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp.cloves
- 1/3 cup egg whites (about 2)
- 3 3/4 -4 cups sifted confectioners sugar
(1) Make dough:
Sift flour with baking soda, salt, and spices; set aside.
(2) In large bowl,beat brown sugar,butter,and molasses til well-combined.
(3) With wooden spoon,stir in flour mixture ,
then mix with hands til combined.
Form dough into ball. Wrap in saran wrap or wax paper
and refrigerate overnight.
(4) Next day: Preheat oven to 375 F.
Lightly grease cookie sheets.
(5) Divide dough into 4 parts.
Refrigerate until ready to roll out.
(6) On lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8 inch thick.
(7) Use cookie cutters in your favorite shapes to cut out cookies.
(8) Place cookies 1 inch apart
on cookie sheets and bake 6-8 minutes.
Remove to wire racks to cool.
(9) Make frosting:
In med. bowl,beat egg whites with
3 3/4 cups powdered sugar to make a smooth,stiff frosting.
Add more sugar if necessary.
Cover with damp cloth until ready to use.
10) Decorate cookies : Pipe frosting through #4 writing tip
outlining cookies and making polka-dots.
- 1/2 cup soft butter or Margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 hard-cooked egg yolks,sieved
- 1 raw egg yolk
- 1/4-1/2 tsp.cardamom
- 1 Tblsp.grated lemon peel
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
- 2 Tblsp.sugar
(1)Preheat oven to 375 F.Lightly grease cookie sheets.
(2) In medium bowl, with wooden spoon:
beat butter, sugar, egg yolks, cardamom,
and lemon peel til well blended.
(3) Stir in flour;mix with hands to blend.
(4) On lightly floured surface roll out
1 of two parts of dough
to a 7x6 inch rectangle.
(5) Cut each rectangle in half,
and then cut crosswise into 12 strips
(you will have 48 strips in all).
(6) With palms of hands,
roll each strip 4 inches long.
Form into a ring or pretzel shape,
pinch to seal.
(7) Place on cookie sheets and
brush with egg white beaten with 1 Tblsp water.
(8) Make topping:
Combine almonds with sugar.
Sprinkle over tops of cookies
(9) Bake cookies 10-12 minutes til golden brown.
Remove to wire rack to cool
Chocolate Walnut Sensations
- 1 cup plus 2 Tablsp. flour
- 1/2 tsp.baking soda
- 1/2 tsp.salt
- 3/4 firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter,softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate morsels(divided)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
(1) Preheat oven to 375 F.
(2) In small bowl mix flour,baking soda and salt;
(3) In large mixer bowl,beat brown sugar,butter,
and vanilla til creamy
(4) Beat in egg;gradually add flour mixture;
(5) Stir in the Chocolate morsels and the walnuts
(6) Spread into greased 9 inch baking pan.
Bake for 23-25 minutes.
(7)Remove from oven and immediately
sprinkle with remaining cup of morsels,
let soften and spread evenly over top.
Garnish with some coarsely chopped walnuts.
(8)Cool; chill briefly in refrigerator
and cut into 2 x 1 1/2 inch bars.
Magic Cookie Bars
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 (14 oz.) can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1(6 oz.) package semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 3 1/2 oz.(1 can)flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I like walnuts)
(1) Preheat oven to 350 F. In 13x9 in. baking pan, melt butter
(2) Sprinkle crumbs over butter;pour sweet. cond. milk evenly over crumbs.
(3) Top evenly with layer of coconut,
then chocolate morsels, then nuts; press down gently.
(4) Bake 25 to 30 minutes til lightly browned.
Cool thoroughly before cutting into bars.
These store well
if you can keep them long enough!
The Moravian spice dough is stiff. It should be rolled very thin and not overbaked.
This cooky keeps well and is very nice with a hot drink for dunking.
Try to use real butter, vanilla, don't overbake, and play with the dough as little as possible.
(Try to put up with the dough-snitchers)
Find out more about Cardamom spice used in the Kris Kringles.
The Kris Kringles are a delicate cooky that is well worth the time.
They can either be formed in small circles or pretzel shapes.)
Magic Cooky bars and the Chocolate Sensations are good bar cookies,
both have similar ingredients, but a different texture and taste.
Magic cooky bars keep well.
If you need some inspiration for gifts: