It is all in the frosting!
Bake up any sort of cupcake you want… vanilla or chocolate are the best.
Then make this yummy frosting:
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
4 cups confectioners sugar
4 tablespoons heavy cream
Red food coloring (gel type) -optional
Crushed candy canes (about 4 large)
Large mixing bowl:
- Beat the butter smoothly and add the vanilla extract, salt, and peppermint extract.
- Mix in powdered sugar a little at a time with the heavy cream until frosting is fluffy. (You can add additional cream to get consistency nice and smooth or more confectioner’s sugar to thicken).
- Set aside.
- Fill the pastry bag with frosting -plain white or with a stream of red colored mixed in
- Pipe the frosting onto cool cupcakes.
- Sprinkle tops with crushed candy canes