When people are afraid they won’t be accepted they avoid contact.
This especially happens when people consider getting to know God.
Avoiding God can range from keeping a static view that was handed to them from someone else (a person or an institution) all the way down the spectrum to simply believing there is no one there.
Christmas reveals the joy that can come from meeting with God and getting to know his real nature. The Spirit of generosity and benevolence that we often call “The Spirit of Christmas” is the revelation of God’s love and wish to accept us.
Jesus is the Reason We Celebrate
Jesus is “God With Us”, Immanuel.
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
You can tell this is one of my favorite verses; it’s the second time I’ve quoted it this season. But it bears repeating, this invitation of Jesus is the very core of the message of Christmas!
Angels are messengers, and throughout the Nativity story they repeat: “Fear not”. It is still said to us today… don’t be afraid to approach God, with faith, with prayers, in fellowship.
Devotionals for Day 16
- In 2006, The Jesse Tree was a new idea to me, and became the topic for Day 16 of Advent that year.
- The Virgin Mary contemplations for this day.
- Olives and their symbolismÂ were the subject for 2008
- God’s Promises for Day 16: He Loves YouÂ from year 2009
- What can a hat tell you about Christmas? You might be surprised. 2009
- Habakkuk’s WatchÂ Â in 2011’s journey through the Jesse Tree symbols.